Notes on 2013:
If I had to pick one album from 2013 as the very best, it would be The Knife’s uncompromising, restless Shaking the Habitual.
My big find for this year would be Chelsea Wolfe. I’ve grown a little obsessed with her as I had with Sharon Van Etten last year and Anna Calvi the year before.
2013 was an amazing year for hip-hop with great stuff from Kanye, Chance the Rapper, Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt, Deltron, Danny Brown, El-P & Killer Mike and J. Cole. Actually, I’m amazed at how hip-hop heavy my year end list is.
Of the people on this list, I’ve gotten to see Scout Niblett, Parquet Courts, Queens of the Stone Age, Nick & The Bad Seeds and Low live in 2013.
For best lyrics, I would choose either “Male Gaze” by Pissed Jeans or “Gun” by Scout Niblett.
According to iTunes, my most listened to song from 2013 was “Jubilee Street” by Nick Cave. Second most listened to from 2013: “Tooth for an Eye” by The Knife.
Without further ado, here is my list (in a slightly particular order):
- The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
- Kanye West – Yeezus
- Scout Niblett – It’s Up to Emma
- Majical Cloudz – Impersonator
- Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork
- Anna Calvi - One Breath
- Danny Brown – Old
- Body/Head - Coming Apart
- Pissed Jeans – Honeys
- James Blake – Overgrown
- Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold
- Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
- J. Cole - Born Sinner
- True Widow – Circumambulation
- Subrosa – More Constant Than The Gods
Other stuff worth checking out from 2013:
- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away
- Inter Arma – Sky Burial
- Goldfrapp - Tales of Us
- Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sister
- Chelsea Wolfe - Pain Is Beauty
- King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath the Moon
- Major Lazer – Free The Universe
- Chance The Rapper – Acid Rap
- Low – Invisible Way
- Julia Holter - Loud City Song
- El-P/Killer Mike - Run the Jewels
- Various Eggs - Don’t Expect Much From Other
( ^ ;) shameless self promotion)